The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Fox Pro Contest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fox Pro Contest
honestjohn
Knows what it's all about
Member # 2651

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2010 10:11 AM      Profile for honestjohn   Email honestjohn         Edit/Delete Post 
They are having a big debate over at Fox Pro site over contest rules.It seems like they can change the rules as they go along for someone as long as you check with them first.Seems to me that the Dillons and about 1/2 the board members,are put out with Vic for not going along.But then what do I know,I just lurk over there,I dont even own a Fox Pro,I have a Minaska.

[ February 06, 2010, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: honestjohn ]

Posts: 14 | From: Waco, TX | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2010 10:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Where can we see this discusion?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31511 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
luckyjack
Member # 3462

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2010 10:56 AM      Profile for luckyjack           Edit/Delete Post 
Has there been any kind of official ruling posted concerning the father and son team?

After reading the rules, I don't see how foxpro can possibly allow any of the kills by that team to count. They have clearly disregarded several of the rules.

If I was in the contest and a serious contender for winning or placing near the top, I'd be pissed if foxpro allowed the kills of that team.

edit to add I found this posted by joe at foxpro. So I guess there has been an official ruling.

"I would like to try and clear the air on the seemingly controversial contest entries from eaglerock. There seems to be a lot of concern that is spilling over in the form of personal attacks, name calling, and other tactics that are not in the spirit of this contest. I would like to believe that everyone who is either participating in the contest or acting as a spectator trusts that FOXPRO has and always will make the right decision concerning any questionable contest entries. Getting fired up and sending vulgar messages back and forth between each other is not needed.

Eaglerock contacted FOXPRO prior to the start of the contest to explain that he and his son are hunting as a team. As some have pointed out, rule 6 in the contest states:

“All posted predators must be harvested by the person in the topic only. For people hunting in teams, only the shooter may take credit for the predator.”

What isn’t defined in the rules is exactly how the “team” portion works. In this case, we are looking at the second part of the 6th rule: “For people hunting in teams, only the shooter may take credit for the predator.” We all know that a team is comprised of more than one person—in this case eaglerock and his son. As they are hunting as a team we can then refer to the second part of rule 6 and realize that only the shooter takes the credit for the predator. Continuing on, should eaglerock end the contest with the highest number of predators for the win, his son will then be awarded the prize as he is the shooter in this team.

If anyone is unclear on FOXPRO’s position concerning this situation, I would encourage you to express your opinions to us directly either by private message, email, or by calling us on the phone.
Thank you"

Foxpro should have made these back rooms deals known to all participants right from the beginning. Why the big secret?

[ February 06, 2010, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: luckyjack ]

--------------------
better to be lucky than good

Posts: 41 | From: 4 sections North of Clem | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
luckyjack
Member # 3462

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2010 11:28 AM      Profile for luckyjack           Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go LB. Most of the discussion is on this page.

http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/showthread.php?t=113&page=8

--------------------
better to be lucky than good

Posts: 41 | From: 4 sections North of Clem | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2010 03:55 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't take part in hunting contest as a rule. I like to keep the hunting on a fun personal level.

I've noticed that those that try to make money at this seem to really dislike their competitors. They also seem to be the source for much of the in fighting that goes on among us.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1930 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2010 04:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree with what you wrote, AZ. It takes all kinds, and some people like to compete. If you get out on a party boat, in most cases, there will be a jackpot for biggest fish and I don't think that puts all the fishermen at each others throats? People like to compete, shooting contests abound, bowling, essay contests, spelling bees, knitting and crocheting, drag races, horse races, Winter Olympics....the list is endless.

I have been competing in hunt contests for over 40 years and I thoroughly enjoy it. I don't hate the other guys and I suspect that I'm not alone in that respect? Monetary considerations can create friction in just about anything. I don't see where hunting contests are less than honorable for 99% of the participants. Just my personal opinion.

Now, as far as this Foxpro issue, I think Vic has a point, technically. It seems a bit awkward to have the dad register and post, and the son designated as the shooter and per the rules, the shooter is the one eligible for prizes. But, if he isn't registered, how do they get around that little inconvienient truth?

Apparently, smokin Joe or Mike Dillon decide stuff and they have a loose interpretation of their own rules. I agree that it seems a little petty, on the one hand, but as somebody said, why have rules, in the first place? Just let Smokin Joe, whoever he is? rule by the seat of his pants.

I really don't see how they can resolve this issue equitably? Like, what is the result of breaking a rule? A ten yard penalty, or disqualification?

I understand what is the deal, a father and son team and the kid does all the shooting. Got it. But, the kid should have his own account if he expects to win. The problem is that eaglefeather never should have said anything about who shot the animals, in the first place.

This brings up another issue with which I disagree. We have been having hunt contests out here in The Land Of The Fruits And The Nuts for fifty years, before many of you guys were born. However, we have always bestowed recognition on the team, not the individual. The team wins, we don't care if one of them drove the truck and the other guy did the calling and the shooting. They both win and there is never an attempt to divide the contestants. Nor should there be. It is a team effort. If a man wants to hunt alone, that's up to him, but it is a considerable handicap against a well oiled team.

So, it seems to me that the Foxpro contest is set up for single hunters, primarily, or it should be, if they intend to recognize only the shooter?

I don't know. Sloppy rules promote sloppy interpretation of those sloppy rules and that's where it's at.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31511 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2010 05:08 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I've never read the contest rules or even been to the contest thread at Foxpro but it seems to me Leonard makes a very good point...

If this is an individual contest then give a prize for that and if it's a team comp then give a prize for that, but it's not fair for an individual to have to compete against a team effort. Pretty simple stuff!

Nikonut

IP: Logged
oslo
Member # 3517

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2010 08:36 PM      Profile for oslo   Email oslo         Edit/Delete Post 
More shady stuff from the Foxpro guys? I can't believe it!
More importantly, we are talking about Foxpro, so who cares!

Posts: 19 | From: socal | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters