The New Huntmastersbbs!
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » Flipper lights. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Flipper lights.
onecoyote
Knows what it's all about
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2005 09:52 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone make flipper lights anymore?

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2005 01:15 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they still sell them at Sea World. [Wink]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2005 07:29 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty old buddy, how many animals have you taken in a night of predator hunting using lights? I've been using lights for predator hunting more years then most folks are alive and I'm not alone. [Smile] I know what works and what don't, trust me on that one. [Smile] [Wink] When I first started predator hunting it was at night, it took me a few trys to call something in and I was using white lights at the time. Years later I found out there was a better way and it ain't a white light lol, Good Hunting.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2005 07:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, in this discussion, you really don't have a clue. For that matter, neither does Watson since neither of you (I'm betting) have ever used one, or handled one.

If you knew anything about night hunting, you would know that Danny wouldn't use a noisy mechanism. Short answer, your imagination is running wild. Flipper only sounds like a noisy word.

As to the value of white light, again, asking the question shows that you don't have the foggiest idea. BUT, it isn't your fault. It's a difficult concept to grasp, from the written word.

Actually, I don't use a flipper, myself. I much prefer a superposed. Watson probably thinks they are noisy also?

But, a flipper is a damn good light. Gino used to make them to order, but he got tired of it, sort of like Higgins with his Howlers, and Krusty with his calls.

Good hunting. LB

edit:
quote:
I have read where guys say switching just leaves you with a running shot, especially if the "flip" is noisy.

I'd sure like to meet the dipshit that made the above "observation"!

[ January 11, 2005, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2005 07:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, let's just leave it as a subject you do not grasp sufficently to assemble unrelated facts and form erroneous conclusions. Not a put-down, but, really, I have little patience to go into a detailed response.

Even your questions contain inaccuracies. Example: a red light is a hunting light, you cannot always identify an animal from a distance unless you light him up with a "burn light" for the shot. Until then, it's just a set of eyes.

If a guy chooses to use a red light, and has identified the animal, and shoots under the red, that's fine with me. Even if he has control of the intensity. However, there is no substitute for the clarity of the white light if the animal is in cover and some distance away. He only sees it for a very few seconds....

Assuming that he deserves an opinion, in contrast to being entitled to one......

Whoever you are quoting would probably be a little annoyed, if you have taken him out of context.

Don't bother to try and fathom this stuff. Besides not understanding the nuggets of information dropped, from time to time, I have no intrest in explaining our methods. In other words; Your enlightenment isn't important to me, dude. [Smile]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Duncan Menads
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2005 09:47 AM      Profile for Duncan Menads           Edit/Delete Post 
It's like involuntary grass. Or hair in your ear.
Posts: 44 | From: Your Closet | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2005 10:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodness gracious! You amuse me, Krusty. Ever so slightly, sometimes.

The actual purpose (utility) of a night hunting spotlight is varied. You can survive, at a elementary level, (many do) with a light that cannot be changed from bright to dim. You can, and we have, changed the light by various methods, as well as changing the intensity and the shade. (color)

The ultimate theory behind a flipper light is WEIGHT SAVING. BECAUSE. Two separate light bulbs weigh twice as much, and get very heavy, when operated all night long.

To continue....
The colored lens installed on a pivot inside the light shroud of a flipper spotlight is far less heavy than assembling two bulbs inside two cowlings and superposing them, and calibrating them to the exact same aiming point of the beam. (think of a choke on a carborator)

I (personally) do use two separate lights joined together like the barrels of a shotgun, with all attendant wiring and switching controls. This is a red fog light, and a white pencil beam spot. Both are extremely useful.

With a flipper, you can hunt with the dark colored lens acting exactly like the filter on a camera lens. Instead of unscrewing it, as with a camera, you just pull the trigger cable mechanism, and the shaft (silently) rotates 90º. The effect is that it all but disapears, allowing the high intensity white light to illuminate the animal, which is very important, for accurate shot placement.

This is done completely silently, and there is no warm up period (for the bulb filiment) if you were switching between two bulbs and don't know how to solve that particular problem.

Also, please. Do not attempt to analyze these statements, because they are as true as Holy Writ. If you don't understand this information, please just read it again before attempting to tell me about stuff that I know, and you and Watson don't know.

There is no information about these things on the Internet, either. (a search is pretty useless) There might be a total of 100 flipper lights in the known universe, and most of them are in California. You folks are lucky that you even know the flipper light exists, thanks to a few casual comments by clever and inventive CSVCA members.

Ultimately, we actually do provide a lot of free information, if you would know how to use it. "WE" being the very few third generation night hunters.

Is it fair to ask a group of Tibetan Yak Herders about the finer points of rock climbing? What they think of your opinion, is similiar to, your asking the gentlemen on other boards about the utility of devices like flipper lights. They are not entitled to an opinion if they have no idea about the purpose and have never seen one.

Danny, why did you ever ask the question? You knew there was not an answer out "there" worth a bucket of warm spit!

Good hunting. LB

[ January 11, 2005, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2005 04:23 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny,

Didn't nite lite used to sell them? I thought I had one of their catalogs here, but I can't find it.

I used one years ago that my hunting partner had. Then he bought a new light with two heads, and we quit taking the flipper head out.

I haven't seen one since.

It worked just like some of those flip open scope caps they sell now. at the base of the cover was a little button. When pushed, the red filter flipped 180 degrees up and out of the way.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I have seen those lights. Yeah, you released a catch and it was spring loaded and the red lens cover "flipped" up, out of the way. As I recall(?) it required both hands to release it?

I can see the confusion, if that is what is the mental image, and it does cause a wiggle and a possible noise problem if it bumps a stop.

The flipper lights that Danny is talking about are all custom made, mostly by one person. They work silently and without clicking or wiggling.

We should drop the subject because they are not available at any price. If somebody can see the value, I have already provided enough information where it can be made from scratch, or by modifying an existing light, since most of the modification involves work to the barrel, since the tilt filter needs clearance from the bulb. The plastic will get hot, scorch and blister, if mounted too close.

K,
That's about all I can say. These are all hand made, fer cripes sakes!

If you don't think you friggin need one, don't waste the time building it, much less telling other people that it doesn't work and causes coyotes to run away.
<sigh>

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2005 08:24 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard I agree, like you said drop the subject. Between you and me we probably have 80 years of night hunting experience. That don't mean sh-t in todays world of Hi-tech coyote hunters. I have alot to say but I ain't gonna lol [Wink] [Big Grin]

[ January 11, 2005, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: onecoyote ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2005 08:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
K, I read that thread. I didn't see where Danny mentioned a guy name of Gino, that was the only person who actually would make a flipper light, for sale.

Grandpa Fudge, as I remember, was PRE-flipper light, or maybe had seen a crude prototype? Some guys are handier than others. I really do not see what he is talking about, the lights that I have handled worked flawlessly?

People who know would probably correct me, so I won't bother claiming to be Jim Struble's best friend. However, I knew him well. I've been to his house, and he was a guest in mine; suffered through many Board meetings with Jim, may he rest in peace. Too bad, he was not a very old man, but I could see that he did not look well for several years, although he never complained.

I didn't see any photos on that link, but I know what they do, and how they work. It amuses me, that the Texas boys don't quite get it.

Good hunting. LB

edit: Krusty, your light pics are of something that properly trained California hunters would not consider using, for sure. We never use a light that has an internal battery. That is not a decent spotlight for hunting predators, except maybe in Texas? (just kidding)

[ January 11, 2005, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2005 06:54 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, it's not 1972 lol. I met Jim Struble back in the 70s when he joined the Long Beach chapter. He had belonged to the San Fernando chapter for a couple of years before that. I could tell you alot of things about Jim that I'll pass on, I don't think anybody in the assocation knew him longer then I did. The guy named Dino was a member of the So Cal Chapter that is now the ( Southern California Varmint Callers Asso. )and I'm a life member of that club along with a couple others. Dino made the best lights you could buy at the time, he also made some great looking varmint rifles. Krusty, if you think we are living back in the 70s, you're wrong, we just have some great memories is all and we voice them from time to time. I still call with hand calls and e-callers, I've called up several animals this year and even competed on a hunt, came in 4th place out of 14 teams, not bad for an old guy lol. It's in our blood.....You'll have to go a long way to find a couple guys like Leonard and I. We started this sport a long time ago, seen hundreds of guys come and go. But yet through it all, we are still here....I call that true dedication.

--------------------

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 6 posted January 13, 2005 04:13 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be damned, you can make rope out of that stuff? [Eek!]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2005 04:49 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Quote, “You and Leonard started this sport???” [Roll Eyes]
You’re taking the statement “We started this sport a long time ago” out of context.
He wasn’t saying they originated the sport, he’s saying they began participating in the sport a long time ago. Like almost a half century ago. Along with me. It seems like if there’s any possibility of deriving a negative interpretation from a statement, you have the knack to do it, LOL. Maybe your real calling is as a newscaster for CBS?

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2005 05:08 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
For your information, flipper lights were not around in the 70s, were you? lol. They came along in the 80s and were made even better in the 90s and are being used today. Most folks just don't have a clue to what's going on in the real world of night hunting, I don't think modern technology can help that.....and what did I say that I personally did first when it comes to predator hunting? Nothing that I can think of. Anytime I say something about predator hunting on line....I always try to tell the truth the best of my knowledge....I give my opinion as does everyone else....I try to help people....I tell stories of years past because people have told me they enjoy it.....I also joke around alot too..........BUT, I never said I personally did anything first that I can remember. [Confused]

--------------------

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2005 07:29 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting topic that garners my attention every time.

The first thing I learned long ago- and it was not exclusive to hunting anything - was that if you do not know everything, keep your mouth shut long enough to learn something...

I read about 1/10th of this post, and....

So... Does anyone make a flipper that can be bought today?

Never had one, never hunted with one, never bought one, though I'd give it a try...

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
RayG
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2005 08:03 PM      Profile for RayG   Email RayG         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't resist.
Looks like Danny and Leonard have stepped out (wisely LOL).

JoeF. NO, there are no commercial lights available like we Califonians use. To put one together takes a bit of imagination, mechanical aptitude and a good source of materials to build the tube and trigger assembly. I put a couple together last week before a hunt and each one was a half day probject. BTW, The referenced "Shortblock" used both of the on our weekend hunt.

Seeing as I don't know how to properly insert photos in my reply, I sent a shot of a couple lights to Leonard. Maybe he can edit this and drop it in here somewhere.

RayG

--------------------
RG

If you don't vote, don't offer your opinions about the outcome.

Posts: 34 | From: Corvallis, MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2005 08:15 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

Here's my opinion, be careful about calling my friend a liar.

Danny may have more shit than a Chistmas goose, but he's no damned liar.

Si comprenda?

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2005 08:58 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Why all this crap over a simple question?

[ January 13, 2005, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: onecoyote ]

--------------------

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2005 05:38 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.aboutgbs.com/spotlight.htm

http://www.californiavarmintcallers.com/spotlight.htm

I'm sure people would laugh at it, but I think a guy could get it done with a doll house door hinge and a couple of eye hooks along with some wire fishing leader. [Confused]

[ January 14, 2005, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Duncan Menads
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2005 07:29 AM      Profile for Duncan Menads           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty:

Keep up the good work!

Posts: 44 | From: Your Closet | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2005 08:55 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, Duncan Menads just answered your last question. [Smile]
IP: Logged
WolverineAtWork
Member # 23

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2005 10:05 AM      Profile for WolverineAtWork           Edit/Delete Post 
[quote]Quote by onecoyote:
Why all this crap over a simple question?

Denny Crane!

Posts: 87 | From: AZ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2005 11:47 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Krusty  -

[ February 07, 2005, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WolverineAtWork
Member # 23

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2005 12:05 PM      Profile for WolverineAtWork           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone familiar with the last few seasons of The Practice or the current Boston Legal episodes may catch the comparison.
Posts: 87 | From: AZ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters