The New Huntmastersbbs!
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » Flipper lights. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Flipper lights.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2005 02:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My obvious frustration shows? And yet, this drones on and on, and it's like trying to learn Greek, while looking through a mirror.

For those that think they have the solution, I have no intention of converting you. The comment that has put a buzz in the bonnet is when I finally suggest that you fellas just don't get it, when you say you don't need it. It's okay for the disbelievers to say they don't need it, (flippers) but if I state that "they" don't get it, now "I'm" being impertinent.

As was said a whole page back, forget it and continue to use your own methods.

One thing, as far as Buker and his pal; they can get along in that type of cover quite nicely with a red light and a rheostat. They are not hunting variable terrain that we see further west, and probably don't have the need to illuminate an animal at several hundred yards, very often. This is why I have several lights, and none of them is a flipper light. Same old story, select the proper golf club....or light, as the case may be.

Also, I have provided more than enough explanation so that anyone can construct a flipper light, if they see the advantage. For me, I started using dual lights so long ago, and they have their own special advantages, so that I am willing to accept the trade off, which is increased weight. But, there are solutions to that, as well.

Krusty, you aren't going to build a rocket ship, blind and handcuffed. There is only one way to understand the objective, or the problem. Until you arrive at the point where you see the limitations of your equipment, you will never understand the solution. I promise you, based on your words and pictures, you don't get it and I am not able to explain further, short of personal demonstration.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Knows what it's all about
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2005 02:28 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I have some records of some hunts the stupid California Flipper light hunters Competed on. [Frown] Keep in mind coyotes are 9 points, bobcats are 12 points, gray fox are 5 points and badgers are 9 points, No lions were brought back on these hunts. Most of the animals brought back are coyotes, probably 85 to 90%....

1st place...Ken Miller/Jerry Burns 333 points
2nd place...Jim Terry, Don Henderson, Bob Menzhuber 319 points
3rd place...Dave Terry, Yasu Harrison, Dick Harrigan 184 points

1st place...Skip Christiansen, Bruce Dodd, Jim Terry 409 points
2nd place...Steve & Ginny Sundeen 252 points
3rd place...Ken Miller, Gerry Burns...230 points

409 points was a record for years, Some OLD guy named Rick Orelli checked in 425 points.

Now show me a club full of new modern night hunters with new modern lights, new modern rifles, new modern calls, new modern trucks do better, it ain't gonna happen. Numbers prove nothing RIGHT? Now think real hard and come back with some BS statement.....I didn't want to get back in this but since I did, I'll jump with both feet lol.

[ February 04, 2005, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: onecoyote ]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hodgen
Member # 180

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2005 02:57 PM      Profile for Hodgen   Email Hodgen         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I like flipper lights and think they are a good tool to use. I am not sure records from days gone by really mean much Danny.

25 years ago I was catching trophy pickerel and muskie in the river by my house. Since then the river has died from pollution and killed most the game fish, it cleaned itself back up, and is now one of the best trout locations in Pennsylvania.

25 years ago I was shooting ringneck pheasants around here like they were chickens. If it took you more than an hour to kill 2 you were considered a boob. Today you can walk your ass off, and if you killed 2 wild birds in a season you have done the impossible.

25 years ago, killing a whitetail was an accomplishment. Today if your not killing 3-4 in a season your looked upon as not doing your job for conservation.

It all runs in cycles with both highs and lows.

But I still like flipper lights. [Smile]

[ February 04, 2005, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Hodgen ]

Posts: 59 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2005 02:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, did you know that Rick uses a superposed light? Did you know that Miller and Burns use a superposed light, and so do the Sundeens? All the San Gabriel guys have been using dual lights forever.

Which is not to say they are better, necessarily. Actually, I think they are, because of the wide fog light. As you know, if you are using a dark filter on a tight spotlight, you have to move the beam around a lot more than with the flat fog element. The main point is, that you have an instantly available bright light, whether it is red to white, with a different intensity; or the way you do it, red to amber, same intensity, same bulb. The distinctions are lost on these guys, so it's just between us.

You know, when I got to Africa, Lochi had a crude flipper light. The next night, I wired up a plug adapter, fortunatly I had brought my dual light, and we used it for the next twelve nights.

This subject does not lend itself to the printed page, so I want to invite all out member with an interest in third generation hunting lights to get to Danny's upcoming hunt where he will demo what we are talking about.....what! you don't have one? Oh geeze!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2005 05:04 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This subject does not lend itself to the printed page, so I want to invite all out member with an interest in third generation hunting lights to get to Danny's upcoming hunt where he will demo what we are talking about.....what! you don't have one? Oh geeze!
When and where?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2005 05:46 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, it does look like you don't get it. If I know something; what makes you think I have a burning desire to share it with the rest of the world; populated by those that claim they don't need it and it's noisey and it won't work?

The fact is, I have tried my damnedest to explain this and it's going nowhere. Just take the concept, as explained, and attempt to create your own. I told you exactly how to do it.

I'm trying to help predator hunters any way I can. I spend my time and my own money, and I try to offer (free) what I have learned, the hard way.

There is absolutely nobody, anywhere on the Internet that is expected to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt, that what they claim is true. You either believe it, or you don't. No skin off my nose.

You will not find anybody that has USED a dual light or a flipper light that will make a statement that they don't like it and it doesn't work as advertised.

Oh, I forgot about the guy that thought flipper lights spooked the coyotes. But, he was most likely talking about a different type of light. We already addressed that issue.

When are you going to renew your membership in the Flat Earth Society?

Good hunting. LB

edit: Tim, I thought that Danny has an event upcoming, am I wrong?

[ February 04, 2005, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2005 05:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another thing. California hunters have been using dual and flipper lights for decades, and yet we have people that never heard of them and can't figure out the advantage. We wouldn't be using these things if they didn't work better than what you got, wherever you are. Think about it for a minute!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2005 08:02 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I give up guys. I was only trying to help my old buddy Leonard. Yes I know what kind of lights they were using old buddy...I also understand most guys don't have a clue what the hell we are talking about....So let's put all this fun to sleep.....God bless and good hunting to everybody.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
RayG
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2005 09:48 PM      Profile for RayG   Email RayG         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Night Danny, This thread has been a trip! so many doubting Thomases and disbelievers on tis topic. I have used the dual light and still prefer the flipper. I will continue to and if this thread doesn't die a quick death I will continue to LOL til the lights go out.

--------------------
RG

If you don't vote, don't offer your opinions about the outcome.

Posts: 34 | From: Corvallis, MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters