The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » He's Hooked!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: He's Hooked!
purdygood
Knows what it's all about
Member # 186

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2004 09:08 AM      Profile for purdygood           Edit/Delete Post 
I returned a phone call of a buddy of mine that I had taken calling a couple weeks ago and found out he scored us some acres(4000).I asked him if he wanted to go Sunday night and give it a try he said sure what time.

Well I got to his house to pick him up Sunday about 30 minutes before dark and as we were getting in the Bronco he said he was going to have to kick my butt.I asked what for?He told me cause he is hooked on this coyote calling gig now after our last venture.I just laughed and said it gets worse and there is no known cure.He also infomed me that he was on call and he wouldn't be able to venture too fsar from town(the 4000 acres is an hour drive) so we opted to go up around where I took him last time.

Our first stand was dry unless you count the jack rabbits that came in.On the next one I called in one that was heading down wind of us and Mike took the shot as he stopped and missed.

As we drove to the next plya lake bottom I was beginning to wonder if we were gonna get wet or not as the skys began to light up with lightning and the wind done an about face.By the time we got to our next stand the wind was blowing and it was raining sideways!.We set up on the edge of a lake bottom with a milo field to the south of it.It looked promising so I gave it a try.I blew the Rabbit blues on the mini blaster and after my second series I had eyes and could see a coyote come runnimg down the two track we were on right to the call.I waited for the shot as I barked for it to stop.It did at about 40 yards and just as I was about to shoot it made a left turn and headed into the milo.I got it stopped again and shot.I seen it run out into the milo and stop.Mike headed out there to get it and as he got closer to it it would move a few yards and stop,this went on a couple times and then I couldn't see eyes any more.We looked for 20 minutes in the rain but never found it.

The next couple stands were dry( cept for the rain) It quit raining and was showing some promise for some good calling the rest of the time we were gonna be out.

It was Mikes turn in the chair and after about 10 minutes of me on the mini blaster he had eyes coming across a plowed cottonfield.I began squeeking and he took the shot.I went out and recovered the male and ranged the shot ,176 yds.and a perfect shot with his 25-06 small entrance and a dime size exit right behind the shoulder.

The next time Mike was in the chair we had a couple different groups howl at us and even had one lone male howl and bark really close but couldn't get him to show us his eyes.well I kept on calling and eventually Mike got eyes way out there and almost down wind.The lone male skirted around us and headed away from us and then turned back and headed out into a dirt field,Mike took the shot I heard the meat report and he said he was dancing and went down.Well here I go again.............walking out to recover the critter.I walked and walked and walked,I hollered back and are you sure he want down? Mike said keep going!Man it was way out there.I finally walked up on the dead coyote and ranged the shot.208 yds.WOW!The coyote was laying there with a big hole in the area behind the ribs and a broken back(messy)Man what a shot.I hollered and said come get me.The rest of the night well till midnight we had some howl at us but nothing came in to give us a shot.We headed home both of us had to work later in the morning.

Yep I think he is hooked ,as he said when I dropped him off that we are gonna have to go do this again cept on a friday or sat night.

We'll get over to the new place as soon as we can.I can't wait and I'm sure Mike can't either.

--------------------
If they run they will only die tired

Posts: 20 | From: Lubbock,Texas | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2004 05:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys did all right, considering the season and the weather.

You're right, though. When you have the "Fever": there is no known cure.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31478 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pilgrim on Earth
Knows what it's all about
Member # 314

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2004 05:06 AM      Profile for Pilgrim on Earth   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Purdygood, I see that you're in the beautiful, lush forests of Lubbock, Texas.  -
I lived there for a couple of years. The area kinda grew on me. Lots of coyotes & cats. Do you happen to know a fella by the name of Ricky Russell? He's the guy I called with a few times out that way.

Happy Huntin'

Posts: 54 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters