The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » night hunting information

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: night hunting information
eigermike
PAKMAN
Member # 1002

Icon 3 posted November 02, 2006 04:43 PM      Profile for eigermike   Email eigermike         Edit/Delete Post 
Iam just getting started in prederator hunting. I am planing to hunt at night with a shotgun my gun is a mossberg 835 and has fiber optic sights. I bought a hunting light but I cannot see my sights when using a red light. Is there something I can do so I can see these sights or what sights do I need to change to. Any Information would be greatly appreciated.
Posts: 6 | From: northwest pa. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 05:51 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a Nitelite type of Coon hunter's light. Tip it up and to the left until the light lines up with the barrel when you point it. It's hard on your neck to hunt like that, but if you try to fiddle with the light when a predator is coming in, you will spook him before you get a shot.

When you are hunting, never raise the shotgun until you are ready to shoot, then raise, point and shoot in one smooth quick action.

When the barrel comes into the light, it creates a shadow that will spook fox and coyotes, so you need to make the shadow appear and the shot go off before the critter can spook.

I always adjusted the rheostat so that I cold just make out the red light on the ground 20-25 feet in front of me. It doesn't look like much, but it will easily pick up a predators eyes at 100 yards or more.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 08:13 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Huntmasters eigermike!

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
eigermike
PAKMAN
Member # 1002

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2006 02:32 PM      Profile for eigermike   Email eigermike         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information. I know I have a lot to learn and will get many lessons when I start hunting foxes and coyotes. Thanks Again!
sporterweight
Member # 189

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 01:12 PM      Profile for sporterweight   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Eigermike ,

Do a search on "light sticks" the chemical glow stick lights will make glow type sights glow.
Make sure and get the 1.5" 'miniture' size.They're about 10 cents each and can be taped alongside your sights.
I haven't tried them myself but will be ordering some soon.
Night hunting is something that is much easier w/a partner.There are some good articles on night hunting here -do a search and you'll get up to speed.

--------------------
You got space invaders ?-No
You got pac-man ?-No
You got asteroids ?-No -but dad does -can hardly sit on the toilet somedays.

Posts: 91 | From: Meridian ,Idaho | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
eigermike
PAKMAN
Member # 1002

Icon 14 posted November 15, 2006 02:28 PM      Profile for eigermike   Email eigermike         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Sporterweight, I can use any information I can get.
eigermike
PAKMAN
Member # 1002

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2006 08:05 AM      Profile for eigermike   Email eigermike         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tim Behle & Sporter weight for the information. I went out last night for the second time still have not seen any coyotes or foxes. But I am not giving up. Have used what you told me and it has helped me. In a way I am glad I didn`t see anything because it gave me a chance to get use to using my call and equipment. Thanks again for your help.
[Razz]

bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2006 03:25 AM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
I use a red dot site on my shotgun. I am not sure if you seen that or not. are you the guy that was with woody at ernies hunt? here is a picture of it. the guy holding it is a buddy of mine
 -

[ December 01, 2006, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: bigben ]

Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters