The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » night hunting information

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: night hunting information
eigermike
PAKMAN
Member # 1002

Icon 5 posted November 27, 2006 03:51 PM      Profile for eigermike   Email eigermike         Edit/Delete Post 
I am new at this varmit hunting. I would like to know when you are going into a stand at night does the light spook coyotes or is it better not to use a light if there is enough moonlight to see when you are going into a stand ? [Confused]
Posts: 6 | From: northwest pa. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2006 06:40 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm reading you right, you are asking about using a light to walk from the truck to your stand location when hunting at night.

I never did, I was afraid that it would alert any animals in the area, as well as draw unwanted attention from people.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2006 07:57 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Great question. I've never done that sort of thing for predators but I recall climbing an elk mountain once in the dark to get above the timber by daylight and I remember wondering the same thing. Will the light spook the animals?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 07:48 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
eigermike,

Welcome to Huntmasters!

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 02:15 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No light when walking in... if you must have a light check out a small, dull L.E.D. with a red lens. The less you "Broadcast" the light the better off you'll be.
Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 09:32 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Without a light at night, I'd think you'd make a ton of noise triping over the sagebrush and rocks, falling in badger holes, stepping in cow paddies etc, maybe even get snake bit. I think I'd use a small red light. [Wink]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
eigermike
PAKMAN
Member # 1002

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2006 02:05 PM      Profile for eigermike   Email eigermike         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I use a night lite and when I am traveling to & from stands I try to keep it just bright enough to see about 15 ft. ahead of me. That is also with a red lense on. I was just curious about other peoples opions. Hope all of you have good luck hunting! [Razz]
Posts: 6 | From: northwest pa. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2006 03:23 AM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
huh I have allways had the light on when walkin in. I have picked up a few foxs while doin so also.
Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters