The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » Dogs at night (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dogs at night
furhvstr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2007 10:39 AM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Started taking my lab out at night with me last year. Trained her a little over the summer with an old titty sow bobcat skin I keep in the freezer. After the shot I go back to the truck and get her and she fools around ahead of me till she finds it.
Since I am by myself most nights it's a big help. Nice to have some company along that agrees with everything I say.
Downside is she whines from the truck when I leave to make a stand. Scared a cat off once already.[IMG]http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/300000008e5dcb0/1/43/Qv95tzz10T9r639vEsR-mGKJxDSLnaAq.jp g[/IMG]

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2007 11:07 AM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Here you go.Nice cat,furhvstr

[ May 19, 2007, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2007 11:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have a conflict. Love dogs, but in the truck, they can be a mess, and jump out every time you open the door. I enjoy the companionship, though. They seem like a problem on a day stand, the only time I took my dog, she chased off three coyotes and then locked me out of the truck on the next stand.

Where they really help is tracking a runner. I have a rule of thumb that if an animal manages to get a half mile, I probably won't recover them. Well, if there is fresh snow, maybe, but a lot of places we don't have it and even tracks are difficult to follow. A lot of blood is a good indication but not conclusive, which is where a dog is great.

Decent, well spotted pale cat.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2007 05:49 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Melvin, still learning.
Took the dog out once to call a coyote (day time) just to see what might happen. Coyote noticed the dog first and headed out. Dog went after it just a little then came back. I think a dog coyote hunting in the daylight probably too much trouble for most people. I don't think my lab would be good at tracking blood trail. Would she?
She finds them at night real nice if their there. No wondering if you hit them or not. Their either there or their not.[IMG]http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/300000008ea159b/1/108/_592E3vF7T-QqxBRkacx8MopD-YvKF1m.jpg[/ IMG]

[ May 19, 2007, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2007 05:55 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I don't know how to post a pic.

-

[ May 19, 2007, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2007 06:10 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

furhvstr,it took me 4-5 trys to get that one up there LOL...You must know your stuff on cats.Are you calling these cats?

[ May 19, 2007, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2007 08:21 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again. I'll get my puter savy buddy over here to school me.
I do call most of my cats. Some I just go find. Trap one or two each year just for fun.
I will try and put up a few pics from last few seasons.[IMG]http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/300000008eb605d/1/79/RH6k1fC1xz8q529099AfdK9EUkgR51Uo.jp g[/IMG][IMG]http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/300000008eb6508/1/79/sGNIarpAoz8_hMIY_0t_JxD2OnhTe3 fa.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/300000008eb68e5/1/115/Xv-U2qVz3D83wLnymTs-mi-l qAUBDGdP.jpg[/IMG]

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2007 08:47 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
When you post reply,scroll down to image and click there.A box will open.Copy and paste in it.Click ok.Your jpg will automaticaly go to the reply box.You will see there is a double[IMAG]at the beginning and at the end.It will look like this [IMAG][IMAG]Remove one at the beginning and remove one at the end.Click add reply and your picture will open in the box you are posting.
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2007 10:10 AM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I got one of them up there.Maybe i can try later to get the rest up.You got a nice bunch of fur there.Good job.

[ May 20, 2007, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2007 11:03 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Shit!

That's a hell of a nice pile of cats!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 20, 2007 11:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
See why I thought he would fit in here?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2007 07:14 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
test

" target="_blank">http://www.slide.com/s/Q9uve2zH4j_7Me89fFTevg7UDWP6gZwC?referrer=hlnk]  -

[ May 20, 2007, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 09:07 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
That picture would be a very impressive to me, except for the one I seen of a trapper in Nevada last year the took over 300 cats.
That was impressive, plus his top cat sold for $800+ big ones....Almost makes a man want to break the law. I heard someone out of Utah did lol.
That is an impressive picture because most were called, way to go. What part of California are you in furhvstr?

[ June 11, 2007, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: onecoyote ]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2007 03:34 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to hear a little more from furhvstr as well. Those pics have got to have some interesting stories behind them. Since this is the slow time of year, good stories help the time pass.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 09:10 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Mojave desert.
Yes those have many memories attatched. Taking them to the sale each year is kind of like walking your kid to his first day of school, as in hard to let go. Nearly three hundred last ten years with shotgun\rifle. Each year beats the previous. Not sure I can top last season. Trapping season only 69 days long. Take out holidays and bad weather and only about 50 or so left. Got to get out least 40 of them and have success nearly each trip. Lucky to live in the middle of it and have the time to get out.
Will be messing around with cages this year so will probaly cut back on the night stuff.
Me and Leonard and Craig got to telling some stories recently. That must have been over on coyotes r us.

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2007 01:26 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
furhustr, I know the old Mojave pretty darn good, I lived in it, hunted in it and prospected it.
Some areas have good cat populations that's for sure, looks like you've proven that.
I hope you beat your old record this year, good luck.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2007 03:39 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Good rains previous three springs turned this desert into something I hadn't seen since early-mid eighties. Varmint, upland game, rabbits and rodents exploded, Nice to go out at night and see rats and mice in the road again.
All the little critters are sure hurtin right know. So dry out their that they are all coming into town for feed and moisture. Got almost zero 0000 spring rain this year.
I think the good times are over as we may be slipping into drought again. I hope not.

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2007 01:33 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a pile of cats!!! [Eek!]

Edit (another one of your pics from the above post):
 -

later,
scruffy

[ July 13, 2007, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2007 03:15 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks man. I figured out how to turn the computer on now maybe I will learn how to post pics.
George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2007 05:03 PM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on a load of cats ,,,

you hunting at night for them?

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2007 05:23 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,
My hunting partner moved here from PA. Don't remember exactly what part.

George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2007 07:22 PM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
COOL,
If he is from PA,, all I can say then is them poor critters
keep up the good work and tell you pal hi from back east

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2007 09:50 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could hunt any one place in the California high country for 'cats, it would be The Buttermilks, outside of Bishop.

If I wanted to hunt coyotes it would be on the 4-WD Road, that forms the southwest border of Joshua Tree National Monument.

Any of you been there?

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2007 09:43 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
That 4wd trail is one of my favorite spots for finding red diamondbacks. There's a good concentration of them down there.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2007 02:58 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Buttermilks are wore out. Couple local guys work it hard all season as it is close to home. Sure aint no secret to everyone else including rock climbers and all sorts of granola heads. Not saying you can't kill a cat there it is great cat country and the roads are nice. There are places up that way that are just as nice without all the people and pressure. Sure is some beautiful country up there. I would like to live up there Nov thru feb.
Never fooled around down by Joshua Tree.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters