The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » XIR lights

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: XIR lights
Barndog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 07:17 AM      Profile for Barndog   Author's Homepage   Email Barndog         Edit/Delete Post 
XIR (extra intensity red) dubbed by Andrew Lewand in predator xtreme.
Instead of hitting the animal with a white light or use the flipper lens on the light. The technique calls for a second spot light that is a high intensity light with a red lens as the "hit em" light. One light in the article is found here.

http://www.probuy.net/products/IRPROFILERII.html

How many have tried the XIR technique? And how does it compare in your area compared to the white light shock em and shot em technique.

I still think the future of night hunting is this

http://www.opticshq.com/page/Optics/CTGY/Thermal_Imaging/

Forget the spotlight all together.
I just have a hard time swinging $12,000 for a scope.

[ May 08, 2008, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Barndog ]

Posts: 185 | From: Idaho | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 09:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That first link is no good?, but

quote:
How many have tried the XIR technique? And how does it compare in your area compared to the white light shock em and shot em technique.
(this) demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of lights and night hunting techniques. Additionally, the thermal imaging stuff is a waste of time. Well, maybe it would have a valid application for a Vulcan Canon?

Good hunting. LB

PS is this the same guy that had a previous article in that mag?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 09:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw the first link? Seems okay, but I am puzzled by the need for IR, in the first place?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Barndog
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 03:56 PM      Profile for Barndog   Author's Homepage   Email Barndog         Edit/Delete Post 
Not IR. Thermal. I agree about IR, I'm talking about detection of 1/1000 of a degree change and creating an image from it. Vegetation, landscapes, houses, streets roads etc all emit different temperatures creating an image. Throw a live animal in the picture and temperatures change. It would be like looking at a pair of eyes with a spot light at night without the light.
Also night hunting now becomes legal in counties were spotlighting is illegal. Unless there is a no shooting law after dark. You could also tell what kind of underwear your neighbor is wearing.
Is that an underwire?

Posts: 185 | From: Idaho | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 04:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
afraid not, Amigo. Yes, these thermal detectors can tell the difference between a cold rock and a leaf and the reverse of the leaf looks different, as well. Even a single degree difference can be seen, and that's part of the problem. But, let's say there is a coyote standing on a sand dune, even then, if you think you can accurately shoot a coyote at normal distances, or in most cases, SEE a coyote in all the clutter, unless from the advantage of a helicopter, you are mistaken. At ground level, all you will see is whatever is in the foreground. That animal beyond and behind the brush is invisible. You see the neato pattern of the bushes, not the warm animal, yards beyond the bushes.

It really isn't necessary to reinvent the wheel, visible light works rather well, actually.

But, NV does have a few applications, if it's that important? Pain in the ass, to use, but in rare instances, it will gain an occasional timid animal.

Good hunting. LB

To clarify, a coyote is nothing like a deer, frozen in the headlights. When you utilize the burn light, the object is not to freak the animal out. You will never stop a coyote for an accurate shot by turning an intense light on him. That will cause him to immediately get the hell out of Dodge. It's a hard concept to understand if you have never done it.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 06:35 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Yes, this is the same guy, and the topic is about Part II of his article.

"XIR"... Xtra Intensity Red. (cough "bullshit")

You want me to send it to you?

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 08, 2008 09:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if you don't mind? Might learn something?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Pilgrim on Earth
Member # 314

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 05:08 AM      Profile for Pilgrim on Earth   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
XIR = "turn that dadgum light up a little...I can't see 'im." I'd sure hope it's not a new concept to anybody. The author's probably a real nice guy and all... But since he labeled it with a nifty acronym (and included an "x" in there to boot), he'll be called a genius and a pioneer in the predator calling world.
Posts: 54 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 05:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure? I read that article last night, Krusty sent me his copy. (thanks)

I read at least the first four paragraphs before I found something that made a little sense.

As the previous poster said, there is no new ground in that entire article; that's stuff we were doing forty years ago!

I mean, even his assumptions and pronouncements; he has discovered the, be all and, and end all , because he tested it all season.....with good results!

Like, WOW(!) this guy should be a "SCIENTIST" He can jump to unsupported conclusions with the best of them.

I won't attempt to polish my resume' since I have not been published in a National Rag of any kind, but I know just enough to say that this article is pretty much worthless as cutting edge information.

Good hunting. LB

PS I can't wait for his next article about his new, revolutionary idea of howling for coyotes!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Catfish
PAKMAN
Member # 2592

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 07:33 AM      Profile for Catfish           Edit/Delete Post 
If your looking for the best set up for nite hunting get your self some Gen 111 nite vision gogles and put a lazer on your gun. Tou can see like it`s day lite, except everything looks alittle green. If you don`t want to spend all the buck`s for Gen. 111 you can use Gen. 1 or 11 with an IR lite and still be way ahead of any visible lite, just be sure your state alows it.

--------------------
Catfish

Posts: 8 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 09:43 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Pilgrim,

You're right, it's not a new concept, it was the new fancy catch name that I called into question (especially spelled with a BIG X).

Leonard,

They've got an open casting call, for writers, on their forums... [Big Grin]

(you're welcome [Smile] )

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2008 12:05 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
I evidently missed this issue.

I did get an issue in the mail a day or two ago that has an article on the "top secret" technique of two guys who have been smoking everybody in some New York contest for the last couple of years running. 2 coyotes and 3 fox on a 2 day hunt, or something like that.
I scanned it real quick and did not read all of the detail but the pictures provided told the story pretty well.
It looked about like what everybody else does who ever bothered to figure out how to call a coyote in areas with patch worked brush and open fields. A minor nuance for using an electronic call.

Kind of a yawner (I'll probably get ripped up for that....) and they evidently made no mention of who worked what light (and how) in their two man setup at night.

Things are going to get so stressful for coyotes that if you live in the country and flip on your porch light they'll just drop over dead.

Catfish, I'd sure like some detail on the complete set up and usage of that NV stuff. Price tag, too. I'm not sure that I see the huge disadvantage of visible light and Mark I eyeballs.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2008 05:39 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing how much people know about hunting at night with lights, especially some of the magazine writers with all there experience and knowledge. Do they get payed for doing that?

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters