The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Hunting Vehicles   » Found my truck

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Found my truck
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 09:54 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta leave in the morning, going to Lebanon, Ore. to pick up my Samurai. [Big Grin]

-

-

I am pretty stoked!

Krusty  -

P.S. It'll have 25,000 miles on it when I pick it up, I am lookin' to put a few more on it.

[ January 17, 2006, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 11:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, great. [Roll Eyes] It looks more like something to tool around on campus. Do you plan on a paint job?

Bet you can turn around easily on those mountain roads.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 09:31 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Hey, thanks. [Roll Eyes] I guess?  -

There weren't many colors to choose from originally, and I wouldn't have chosen red, but about 6 of 10 of the ones I liked were.

I was actually thinking of that camo-clad stuff, something similar to what (I believe) Byron's truck is done with, as opposed to paint.
It's definitely too flashy for me now, for hunting, or daily driving.

Some black steel rims, bigger tires w/chains (not huge), nerfs, and a brushguard and winch, will be added as well.
A class II or III hitch, and a reciever mounted platform rack will give me a place to haul things to smelly, dirty, or that otherwise don't need to ride inside.
A swing-out rear tire rack (w/back-up spotlight) and a gerry can, a roof rack, and a hi-lift jack, will pretty much finish it.

I know it looks gay, now, but I plan on fixing that. [Big Grin]

I didn't want to buy a rock crawler.
As often as not it'll be parked at the gate, not far off the two track dirt roads (or sometimes not even off the pavement).

The fact that it is one of the smallest 4x4 trucks out there, is the whole reason I looked for a Samurai.
I never ever need more than "enough" and the Sami is just enough truck for my needs.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 10:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know it looks gay, now,
And, I was so polite not to mention it!

I'm happy for you.

I will tell you something that happened on a mule deer hunt years ago. I was negotiating a very steep "road" with huge moguls, really stressing the frame, and at the bottom, parked, was a Subaru 4WD. I was quite impressed.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 10:47 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
"It looks more like something to tool around on campus."

Well you didn't say gay, in so many words. You didn't have to, maybe, but I did.

The guy was sad to see it go, he was pretty suprised I intended to turn it into a hunting rig too.
He was bragging on the $300 chrome kit, saying how the guys on E-bay battled for it, and looked pretty disappointed when I asked how the panels were attached (implying I was going to take them off).

The Subaru was on my long list, and is a champion among dirt road-able cars, but didn't make the final cut.

This fall, while looking for blue grouse up near the Pacific Crest Trail, we ran into (dang near literally) this hippie-chick in a new outback so high and so deep on the roughest road you can imagine.
She was puttering along, dogs in the back, kid in the carseat napping, as she pounded her way through the puddles and holes, and over rocks we thought would hang Red's S-10 up.
They are ubiquitous in climbing areas.

You can make em pretty mean, too.

-

Krusty  -

--------------------

Doggitter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 11:19 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago brother and I did up a Baja with bus trans, lifting the front and tires all around. Mildly built the 40hp, and when we set the thing back on the ground there was nothing below the body, at 18" clear. Never found anywhere to get it stuck with the X-trac tires on it.
Yep, froze our hiney's in the winter.

Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
MULE
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 09:20 AM      Profile for MULE           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I would laugh....but, It probably gets triple the mileage of my GMC truck with a 7.4litre vortec

--------------------
Kickin' it on the Steppes. Livin' in my Yurt

My Hockey Mom can beat up your Community Organizer

Posts: 334 | From: Ulan Bator | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 04:31 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

Nice little rig. I hope ya [huffed it] before you paid the man [Big Grin] .

My 1st 4x4 was a 1970 Int. Scout, with a V-8. Power up the yazoo, until I rolled it.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 08:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, what happened to the pics, K?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 11:11 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was actually thinking of that camo-clad stuff, something similar to what (I believe) Byron's truck is done with, as opposed to paint.
It's definitely too flashy for me now, for hunting, or daily driving.

Hey, if you want something less flashy and very durable just have the body and under cariage painted with bedliner. It'll be non reflective, hold up to about anything, won't look "gay" as you called it, and it'll be a serious looking little rig with the black wheels, big tires, winch, etc.

I'm not sure how the price compares to the camo stuff you were thinking of. And I don't know if the "bedliner" cans that Wally world carries are any good if you wanted to try to get the price down. Personally I'd have it profesionally sprayed as the results would likely be much better, durability wise, than what I would do.

Just an idea. [Wink]

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 01:36 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Scruff,

You have given me an idea. Of course, I'll wait for the paint to fade/rust 1st [Big Grin] .

BTW, that Wally World under coat, works pretty good...so far. We rolled some on the wheel wells of the fire trucks.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 08:03 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

I "borrowed" the pics from the place with the ad for the truck.
It must've been pulled, and the photo links deleted?

Scruffy,

I looked at a VW baja that was covered in that bedliner then painted over. It was hideous.
(Baja bugs were also on the long list)

Red likes the idea, and said they make it in different colors, he was considering using it to camo his Toyota (which is already ugly).
But it might be a bit pricey to do a whole truck with it?

I thought of the camo-clad stuff, because I don't believe it's permanent, it would protect the paint some, and I could peel it off and have a nice paint job underneath.
I am not sure I could make the commitment of such a permanent change.

After driving it some, I care a lot less about how it looks.

-

It works really really good.

We had it out today, and went some places I couldn't believe it'd go, no problem.
The tires that are on it performed phenominally well, in some very wet and slimy conditions (looks like I just need to shelf the aluminum wheels for steel ones).

And to Leonard's point about it being so small, we test drove it on a "pit track" and the trails made by quads (the motorcycle type).
Other than not being able to turn as tight (it's suprising how big a circle it takes), I can go almost anywhere they can (they make a kit that increases the steering range).

Krusty  -

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters